The Cottage Hospital
Work on the Cottage Hospital in Stephenville Crossing began in 1936, and the hospital opened in the spring of 1937. The hospital consisted of 8 beds ( 4 male and 4 female) and an isolation ward. The first doctor was W.B. Coulter and he was assisted by 2 nurses.
By 1946 the hospital had grown to 22 beds and it now had a staff of 9 persons listed. A report in that year by the Committee on Public Health and Welfare, recorded that the number of patient days were 4,167. In this period an x-ray machine was installed and a operator was hired.
In 1955 the medical staff increased to 2 doctors, 3 nurses, 6 ward aides, and a secretary. The hospital consisted of 24 beds and cribs and now served a population of 13, 490 people from St. George’s to the Port au Port Peninsula.
In 1959 a pre-fabricated building was added to the hospital. Also added at that time was a boiler room, nurse’s living quarters, maternity ward with 14-16 beds, and a pediatric ward with 14-16 beds.
In September 1967 after the phasing out of Ernest Harmon Base the hospital closed and most of the staff moved to the Sir Thomas Roddick Hospital in Stephenville.
Over the ensuing years there have been many changes to the original building. A wing of the hospital was torn down and other renovations have taken place over the last few years.
The building is now home to a medical clinic with 2 full time doctors, a nurse and a secretary. The Government of Newfoundland Social Services Division also operates out of this building as well as Public Health Nursing Staff.