Located in the center of the Town of Stephenville Crossing, lies a small urban wetland known locally as “The Prairie”. “The Prairie” was regarded as a worthless wasteland and a non-productive tract of “not quite land”. Identified as an area to be filled, to create a recreational area, the wetland would have been lost forever if not for a chance encounter and the dedication of a group of community naturalists.
Why are Wetlands Important?
- Wetland areas provide an irreplaceable wildlife habitat.
- They help to control flooding.
- Reduce soil erosion
- Conserve and renew water supplies
- Filter pollutants from drinking water
- Support economically important recreational activities
- Encourage tourism
- Are crucial to the sustainability of a healthy planet
The links at the left will take you through the interesting story of the Prairie Pond Habitat and its importance to Stephenville Crossing.